Monday 8 June 2009

Activity 1A: Check your current online public profile

Check elements of your current online identity or profile by searching for yourself by name using the Google search engine.

Record in your learning journal the aspects of your findings that might help you decide on general levels of privacy or disclosure for your various future registrations on social networking sites.

Search date 08.06.09. Top five:

1. My own website from my PhD study at Lancaster University. It is hosted by the university and created using Macromedia Dreamweaver. Not updated for about a year.
2. My PhD student profile from Lancaster University. I have finished by PhD and left Lancaster, but this page is still live.
3. A flickr stream but not for me.
4. My current Bath Spa University profile (updated by me using uni system).
5. A website for another individual with same name. Very little on my website.

Others in the top twenty include Screen Research; BFI; and Intellect publishers.
Interestingly, my facebook page was not in the top fifty. In this respect, my 'google' disclosures were managed by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment